Basic Temporary File Disk Cleanup (Vista, Windows 7)
The Disk Cleanup utility helps you free up space on your hard disk by searching your disk for files that you can safely delete.
Frequency – every 3 months
Time to run – 30mins – 2 Hours
1. Go to the start button and select computer
2. On the new screen select the hard drive you want to perform the disk cleanup on, right click and select properties (In most cases this is drive C)
3. The new window should open in the general tab and there should be a Disk Clean-up button.
4. The program will now scan your computer for files to delete this can take anything from a couple of minutes to 30 minutes in severe cases (The norm is about 5 minutes).
5. After the scan is finished you will be presented with the following screen. Ensure you tick all the boxes. Note: If you use hibernation do not tick the hibernation box. Then press OK.
6. This process can take as little as 5 minutes and as long as 90 minutes. It depends on the amount of data to remove as well as the speed of the computer.