A workgroup is a collection of computers on a Local Area Network. A workgroup is designed for 15 or less computers and is not recommended for larger networks.
Changing the workgroup is relatively easy to do and allows you to connect all computers together via the same workgroup to share files and printers over a network. Before changing the workgroup ensure that you have saved any open files or work in progress as the system will need to reboot to change the workgroup.
1. Go to the start/windows button at the bottom left of your screen and then right-click on the Computer icon. Select properties and left click.
2. You will now get the computer information screen. Scroll down the screen until you see the workgroup name, you will see a change setting option to the right of it. Click change settings.
3. On the next screen you will see your computer name and current workgroup (likely to be Workgroup). At the bottom of the screen you will see an option to change the workgroup or domain of your computer. Click on the change button.
4. On the new window you will see spaces to change your computer name and the workgroup. Change the workgroup to the name you want and press ok. Important: All computer must be on the same workgroup so set this the same on every computer you want to share resources, files and printers.
5. After pressing ok and you will see a pop up box saying welcome to the network and asking if you would like to reboot your computer. Select yes and reboot now.
That’s it you have now change the workgroup of your computer and on reboot you will be connected to your selected workgroup.