In my day job as a computer repair technician I get a lot of calls about slow internet connections and slow computers. A slow internet connection is sometimes confused with a slow computer and vice a versa, this can not only work out expensive if you have an engineer for one problem when it caused by another but in some cases the situation can be made much worse. It is easy to make a situation worse especially when there are so many pieces of software out there that claim to speed up and clean up your computer to make it run faster. At least half the time these programs do more harm than good and cost you money.
I make many calls a week where people are concerned that their internet connection is slow and they want to know if there is anything they can do. After 15 minutes of looking at their computer it is clear that the problem does not lie with their internet connection but with their actual computer.
Hopefully this guide will help you diagnose which is causing the problems you are having – a slow computer or slow internet connection
Slow Computer Symptoms
A slow computer is more often than not the culprit. The symptoms of a slow computer are pretty obvious… its slow but here are a few signs to look out for.
- The computer takes a long time to boot up
- Once you are on your desktop it takes minutes before you can use it
- General use such as opening your my documents or programs like word is slow
- Antivirus software and firewalls can cause major problems with connections to the internet and are often diagnosed as problems with your internet connection. This is not always true as it could be a corrupted security suite that is blocking the connection on your computer.
- Pop ups and programs telling you that you have x amount of problems are normally a form of malware that will slow your computer
- Clicking sounds from the computer can indicate that the hardware (hard drive) is failing. A slow running computer is one of the first signs of hard drive failure.
- Your browser sticking on not responding is more likely to indicate a problem with your computer than your internet connection.
There are a few things you can do to speed up your computer and we have written numerous articles on the subject in the past with the one below proving particularly popular and useful in helping to resolve slow computer issues
Slow Internet Symptoms
This is slightly harder to diagnose as most people assume it is their computer that is slow understandably. The easiest way to test if it is your connection is to do a speed test on the computer considered slow and a speed test on a computer that is running ok.
You can find a speed test tool Here (http://computerlearnhow.com/download-and-upload-speed-test-with-broadband-speed-checker)
Again solutions to a slow internet connection with have written about in past articles try our article Top 7 reasons for slow internet speed
Hopefully these articles will allow you to diagnose and solve both slow computer and slow internet speed problems.