Online backup solutions are becoming more and more popular and are starting to overtake the traditional ways of backing up our personal data using DVD’s CD’s and even external hard drives.
Having a backup plan in place is now essential with the amount of data we store on our computers from photos and emails to movies and music. Online backup solutions are a good way to backup all the important data and have the following advantages
- Secure and safe as the backup is not in your home or office
- Encrypted so your data is private and secure
- Easy to recover should you need to
- Services are scalable so you can always increase your space and cost effective
So lets have a look at 4 of the best online backup solutions and web storage options available for keeping your data safe (If you want to know how much the data allowance can store our how much data is that post will give you a rough idea)
Mozy have a range of online backup solutions to suite your needs whether it is family photos you are backing up or want to use it for your business to backup important documents. Although they have a number of plans we will just look at 2 to give you an idea of the service
This package has 2 options:
- 1 Computer, 50GB of space at $5.99 per month
- 3 Computers, 125 GB of space at $9.99 per month
Both online backup solutions give you automatic or scheduled backups as well as file syncing, mobile access, tech support, file encryption, open and locked file support, bandwidth throttling, in-client and web-based restores, and web access to your files.
The business package has a variety of options for you to choose from and is very customisable for example:
- Small Business – 5 computers each with 10GB of backup space = $19.99 per month ($4.00 per computer)
- Medium size business – 15 Computers each with 15GB of backup space = $94.99 per month ($6.34 per computer)
- Large Business – 50 Computers each with 20GB of backup space = $379.99 per month ($7.60 per computer)
The business package contains all the features of the home package and more. Mozy Online Backup – Get Protected Today!
Drop box is another very popular service that seems to be very popular with students. It has a variety of prices ranging from free to $19.99 per month. There is a teams version which is aimed more at business but for prices for this backup solution you need to contact dropbox.
Like most online backup solutions your files and data can be accessed via the web. Unlike a lot of other backup programs DropBox works on Windows, Mac and Linux operating systems as well as mobile devices like the blackberry, iPad and android devices.
For more information visit DropBox
SOS online backup is another online backup solution that offers backup solutions for both home and business users in a variety of packages that are customisable depending on your needs.
- Allows you to backup Up to 5 PCs, Macs, iPhones, Android tablets or phones
- Access & Share files anywhere
- automatic backups
- Securely backup all photos, videos, music, and valuable files
- 50GB of space $79.95 yearly
- 150GB of space $199.95 every 2 years
The Business backup solution contains no limits on the number of devices you can backup. This includes phones and tablets so makes it worth looking at for many businesses.
There are 3 packages:
- 250 GB $39.99 per month or $499.99 yearly
- 500 GB $70.99 per month or $849.99 yearly
- 1 TB No monthly cost $1,599.99 per year
You can also pay for 2 or 3 years and save some money.
Carbonite is probably one of the cheaper online backup solutions available at only $60 a year. In my opinion this is more designed for home users. Some of the features include:
- Automatic online backup
- Unlimited storage capacity
- Off-site data protection
- Secure file encryption
- 30 days of versioning
- Remote file access , iPhone Remote Access, BlackBerry Remote Access
Carbonite does not automatically back up Videos and files larger than 4GB these have to be done manually and Carbonite will not backup system files and software.
And there you have it 4 online backup solutions that are designed for both business and home users. It is very important that you have some kind of backup proceedure in place and online backups are and easy cheap alternative to traditional backup methods.